Monday, June 8, 2009

So I'm back from the weekend... been a very rough one to be honest...
Dealt with some shit regarding uni... a very last minute event cancellation... and another spat with mom....

Movie Carnival yesterday was... pretty okay.

No let me correct that.... pretty dissapointing.

Well of course I enjoyed being around my pals... and finally having a good, proper talk with Hanif about costumes and armoury... and of course... being able to dress up in whatever you just spend the past few nights sewing and stitching up with such care.....

Okay well firstly this is NOT a biased opinion... in case if some of you readers do know I lost the competition, even tho I did make it to the finals (10 out of the 60-70). Yes I was sorely dissapointed about that having handstitched my entire costume (including customizing my shoes), and being told it was a JUDGED competition, but in the end it was surrendered to "crowd response". And Poison Ivy being lobbed into the "masked" category?? Please... do I have a WTF in order?? And while we're at that I of course would've felt better if I lost to a WORTHY opponent... but noooo. That's for not having enough friends in the crowd eh? And there were people whom I thought deserved to be in the finals but weren't. Seriously... I thought the only person who deserved to win performance + appearance-wise was Joker (btw would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me what his real name is x.x)....

Haha. Sleepless nights and endless prep for a goodie bag of movie posters and gift coupons that expire on the same day. I didn't know till I got home that night. Ah well. At least I think Ernie will appreciate the Terminator ones.

Btw Andi and Jamie.... SUPERB sword-fight scene!!! You guys never fail to impress...

Anyways competition aside crowd control was atrocious - where the heck were the minders they said they'd have?? There was the public mingling directly with cosplayers... and rudely tapping you or grabbing you for photos WITHOUT ASKING - even if you're not done with someone else who requested earlier!! They don't even care after the anouncement for went out. Even when I was giving an interview... I had this tactless person tapping me constantly on my shoulder going "Miss... photo, miss.... Miss....." The interviewer was no better - I was supposed to go on stage when she insisted and said it'd be very fast.

And what was the deal about the massive delays... and lenghty speeches by the emcees. And also getting us to "parade" outside the complex where no one would actually see us. It was sweltering hot out there - makeup ran, costumes stuck to you and etc. I wasn't very affected apart from smudging makeup... but have you people actually any consideration for the Star Wars team in heavy armour??? Getting them to stand for long periods of time is one thing... putting them out in the sun is another. Heck, Darth Vader nearly had a fainting spell. Yes I'm totally serious. And no it's not fucking funny. If it felt bad enough for me just under a wig you can imagine what it must be like for fully masked/helmeted characters.

Sigh.... I sincerely, sincerely do hope that future events will take the cosplayers' welfare more seriously, and keep in mind that certain footwear i.e the more elaborate, armoured type with fragile deco are not suited for outdoor use, and also the heat and suffocation helmeted characters tend to face.....

And yeah okay. After having sit thru my rants... here are some photos of myself as Poison Ivy for you.


With my ever supportive, ever loving boyfriend Ernie


Haha and my partner-in-crime...?? Was too bad best friend Harley couldn't join the fun... :P


Lol... Ivy and Hiro Nakamura.... XD


More of Nakamura... and a very adorable Master Yoshi!!!


Kims and Hanif the Mandalorian Merc


And finally with the rest of the finalists on stage.

Pardon the very tired looking pictures... and also the fact that I was all sweaty and shiny-skinned... Blah. And to think so many people have been snapping away at a very disgruntled, hot and bothered me.... =.= *shudder*. But I felt heartened again when one guy came up to me after the competition and said I was the only one who remembered my lines exactly from the movie and didn't understand why I lost... Aaaah well thats over with....
And putting behind the initial grief and heartache at losing so badly...

Ernie got us a vacation package for Bangkok, FOC!!!!
Cos he did some travel agency a big favour. Can you believe that boyfriend of mine??? And he said he got it just for me and wouldn't have if I hadn't been wanting to go so much.... and he wanted it to be a surprise but couldn't keep it away from me long enough cos he's not very good at those things..... Aaaaw.... Ernie what in heavens would I do without you..... ^^

"That... is not a man. That is a god."
~Poison Ivy, Batman and Robin (1997)~